Located in the heart of Mediterranean Sea, Corsica is called “the Island of Beauty.” This unique environment is where the Brasserie Pietra opened its doors in 1996. It is within this island of well-preserved, exceptional, and wild nature that Brasserie Pietra was founded by Armelle and Dominique Sialelli, a husband-and-wife team. Their love for their island, and their love of beer inspired them to create the first Corsican beer.
They decided to create a product inspired by their island – a Corsican beer made with a prime regional ingredient, fruit from the bread tree – the sweet chestnut. In keeping with traditional brewing methods, Brasserie Pietra carefully chooses its raw materials in order to produce very high quality craft beers inspired by their region’s soil. Pietra, the brewery’s founding product is the first beer in the world brewed with a mixture of malts and Corsican sweet chestnut flour.
In 1998, Pietra expanded its range with Colomba, a white beer flavored with herbs that grow wild in Corsica’s maquis (Corsican scrubland).
- Pietra – Pietra is a bottom-fermented, specialty ale brewed from selected malts and Corsican chestnut flour. With its gold color and long-lasting head, Pietra beer is not lacking originality. This recipe, unique to the world, gives Pietra its conflicting taste accentuated by a lingering subtle bitterness.
- Taste Profile – A superb, intense aroma marked by chestnuts and earthy flavours. Pietra proves to be smooth, round, and very harmonious. Almost creamy with hints of chestnuts mixed with honey. Quite distinct, even at the end.
- Colomba – Colomba, Brasserie Pietra’s white beer, displays a fresh straw color underlined by a long-lasting head of white blossoms and fine, transparent bubbles. Bottom-fermented, it has a 5% alcohol by volume. Unfiltered, Colomba has a cloudy look due to the presence of yeast: it’s brewed in keeping with local, traditional brewing methods and gets its unique taste and aroma from the heart of Corsican’s wild vegetation, the Maquis.
- Taste Profile – A subtle and delicate mixture of arbutus, myrtle, juniper, and other secret ingredients which give Colomba an intense and vegetal fragrance. Quite spicy with hints of citrus fruits, leaving a lingering taste of zesty flavor.
- Noel – Derived from the latest crop of barley, and designed for the winter season by brewers who have developed more energetic, more aromatic, and stronger beer recipes, Winter Beer has now become a seasonal specialty that beer lovers won’t want to miss. Brasserie Pietra, in keeping with its local traditional brewing methods, has developed an exclusive recipe rich in raw materials for a Corsican chestnut flour based beer.
- Taste Profile – Robust, attractive, and savory, Pietra Winter Beer offers distinct aromatic flavors, a magnificent russet tint, a cream chestnut-colored head, perfect for dessert or as a “digestif”.
Please use the Beer Finder to locate Pietra in your area.