The Charles Wells Brewery was founded in 1876, when Charles Wells bought the Horne Lane Brewery and its 35 tied houses. The brewery’s success led to increased production, and eventually, capacity of 50,000 barrels was reached. In order to meet the continued increasing demand, in 1976 brewing was moved to the Eagle brewery on Havelock Street in Bedford. After 5 generations, the brewery is still owned by the Wells family.
In 2006, Charles Wells and Young’s of London merged to become Wells & Young’s Brewing Company and all brewing was moved to Bedford. In 2015, the brewery was renamed to Charles Wells.
All of the Charles Wells beers are brewed with accredited Natural Mineral Water and the best quality ingredients.
Charles Wells had a successful naval career and was promoted to Chief Officer in 1868. After the promotion, Charles’ plans to marry Josephine Grimbley in the late 1860’s were thwarted by his prospective father- in law, who told him that he would not permit his daughter to marry a sea captain who would be absent for so much of the time. Thus, Charles left the navy and pursued a new career in brewing.
Young’s Double Chocolate Stout – Young’s Double Chocolate Stout is a real treat for the drinker and one of the first chocolate beers to market. Popular in many countries around the World, Young’s Double Chocolate Stout has been recognized as an award-winning brew on several occasions. ABV 5.2%
- Taste Profile – A tantalizing combination for the chocolate lover and beer drinker alike. Full, roast and rounded, with the added smoothness of oats and chocolate plus a cheeky hint of Challenger.
Eagle Banana Bread Beer – This unique brew combines all the traditional qualities and style of a Charles Wells beer with the subtle flavour of banana. It is one of the first Banana beers to market, and is brewed using fair trade bananas. ABV 5.2%
- Taste Profile – Tempting banoffee aromas tempered by a grassy, lemony nose all leading to a finely balanced, fresh, delicate flavor of peppery hops with a lingering dry finish.
Eagle Bombardier– Bombardier is an iconic real beer loaded with distinct English brilliance. It’s the essence of impeccable taste and great character. The rich, full-bodied nectar is a lingering reward – English, ever reliable and damned tasty! Draught ABV 5.5%, Bottle ABV 5.2%
- Taste Profile –A burnished copper color, it has a rich, tempting aroma of peppery hops and raisins, while the palate is dominated by more dark fruit, juicy malt and tangy hops.
Eagle Sticky Toffee Pudding – Using traditional British desserts as the source of inspiration, Wells discovered that the natural, rich flavours of Sticky Toffee Pudding could be exquisitely combined with darker malts to create a truly distinctive ale. With toffee and caramel hints and rich fruit aromas, Sticky Toffee Pudding Ale is an intensely satisfying beer. ABV 5.0%
- Taste Profile – Rich full flavored beer with a deep copper color, Wells Sticky Toffee pudding has all the warmth, aromas and appeal of the rich pudding from England. Brewed with our trusted best pale ale malt and a secret blend of complex sugars and molasses, initial sweetness is tempered by a gentle bitterness from two of England’s most traditional aroma hop varieties – Fuggles and Goldings. It has a sweet taste of caramel and toffee along with a smooth and robust aftertaste. As with all puddings, this beer offers full contentment in a glass.
McEwan’s Scotch Ale – One of the most successful and best-loved beers from the Fountain Brewery was McEwan’s Scotch Ale, fondly known as “Red Top” by its legion of fans. The beer was remembered for its unique and distinctive tartan packaging, which is now protected on The Scottish Register of Tartans as ‘The McEwan 1856’ by the renowned Scottish tailors, Kinloch Anderson.McEwan’s Scotch Ale has gained a fiercely loyal following throughout the years, especially in North America; and its rebirth is a direct result of customer demand. The Charles Wells Brewery has resurrected this iconic beer using the original recipe that made it so famous. ABV 8.0%
- Taste Profile – Dark mahogany color with a thick beige head, McEwan’s Scotch Ale has sweet aromas of caramel, toffee, malt bread and dried fruit. This warming beer has a very mild coffee flavor with notes of raisins and brown sugar in the finish. A smooth, intensely satisfying and full-bodied beer.”
Please use the Beer Finder to locate Marston’s beers in your area.